Friday, June 1, 2012

June: 60K Word Challenge

I'm back, for anyone who may have noticed.

Personally, the last several weeks have been a bit of a whirlwind, we've moved out of our house, re-located the kids with relatives at the Jersey Shore and I triumphantly ended 8 months of unemployment with a new active duty Navy assignment in Maryland.

All in all, good things

But the writing has suffered. Badly.

No more. This June I'm picking up a ball I dropped when I jumped on a month long blog challenge from Dave Gaughran back in February to do 60K in 30 days.

Why the sudden urgency? Because a personal writing resolution (not one I posted back on my resolutions post) is about to go out the window; to have "hit the button" and been self-published before turning 40. As it happens, I'll be turning 40 in only ten more short days.

Nope. Not gonna have my work ready to roll out by then. No way. Fail.

But, I have my cover finalized, picked my editor and have my outline finally sorted out. So I haven't been totally unproductive. All that's missing now is the good, ole fashion sweat equity.

I recognized long ago that truly productive writing needs to be treated like work. Just like cleaning out your garage, painting that dingy looking room and starting to get yourself back in shape and/or dieting; sometimes you need to put a hot iron to your own ass.

30 days in June; 2k words a night starting right now. That's all I have to say for now.

Wish me luck, I'll keep you posted.

Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment